Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Do I Contradict Myself?


Very Well I Contradict Myself

I write from all kinds
of points of view. What I like to do is to write songs that release a "charge" for me. Songs that make me feel better for having written and sung them. I'm not trying to present a consistent world view, or position, or even trying to write a "good" song. I'm looking to express something in me that wants to get out, and I use my bodily responses to guide me in this process. Whatever feels right to sing gets sung.

I used to operate under more of a dictatorship. I had one central position or world view and each song was like a brick in the wall of that position. They all had to be consistent and logically in agreement with the "party line". But not anymore!

Now I've switched to a more democratic parliamentary system. It's like there's a parliament in my head and every member gets at least one song to have his or her point of view heard. I have my favorites but there's a lot of value for me in letting all of my MP's have their say...

My favorite Walt Whitman quote:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well I contradict myself. I am large. I contain multitudes."

No comments:

Post a Comment