Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Science and Religion

What's The Difference?

I've been thinking lately that Science is really based on how the human mind works naturally. We all use the Scientific Method all the time, even fundamentalists. We develop ideas about the world based on what will best explain the evidence we encounter. The problem, as I see it, is that Science and Religion differ in what they consider "evidence". What Scientists, Mystics and gurus are looking for is some kind of knowledge, some kind of certainty. That certainty being forever elusive, I think we all settle for our favorite brand of counterfeit certainty. My own favorite brand is that nothing is really knowable, all our theories are hopelessly wrong and biased, everything is ultimately a mystery, the Universe is a fucking awesome place, and my best bet for survival and pleasure is to respect the Nature of things, develop a knack for kindness, music, friendship, and balance, flow more~force less, and see if I can enjoy the ride as much as possible, even though I have no idea what it is, who I am, where it's going, how long it will last, where it's been or what its purpose is. That's my best guess, based on the evidence I've encountered so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment