Saturday, October 24, 2020

To Thine Own Self...

 


Be True

I've always been happy with my no debt, low overhead, no kids, "the best investment is friends", KISS (keep it simple stupid) lifestyle, but never more than this year. The calamities I've worried about most of my life have finally showed up and so far I'm doing OK.

No judgement against people with mortgages, dojos, and/or kids...but I knew at a young age that I had to do what I loved in this life, and it wasn't going to make me much money, so I budgeted accordingly.

Debt has always scared me because it's planning on having money in the future to pay it off and I could never confidently make that plan, so I never borrowed more than I could pay off in the very short term.

Overhead scared me too. 20 students just to turn the lights on? So I teach one-on-one in the park. No rent so I can keep private lessons affordable for people and pressure to recruit new students is at a minimum.

Making albums also scared me...big outlay of money against unknown future sales. So I recorded very simply at minimal expense. Until this year, I always made more money than I spend on music.

Kids? Forget about it. I knew I could barely keep my own ass above water, so I had a vasectomy when I was 29.

I didn't dream big or grandiose, I dreamed small and practical. I didn't live large, I lived small. I didn't set my fears aside and aim high. I listened to them and aimed low. I just wanted to do my work, have a little fun, and make enough to continue. So far so good.

It could be that I didn't make full use of my talents. That I didn't reach nearly the number of people I could have. But isn't that the case no matter what we do? In order to be happy I need to be myself. And myself is scared of taking on things that scare me and complicate my life. All these fears, which I would also call being realistic, led me a life that so far I enjoy and that has held up well against tough times. 

If you're reaching for the sky, more power to ya!

If you're reaching for the ground like me, more power to ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment