Saturday, March 17, 2012

Andy Warhol Quote

About Making Art.

Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art. ~Andy Warhol

I like this quote very much. I would be more gentle about asking or telling others to do this...that is up to them. But this is what I tell myself and how I have decided to actually live. I keep my focus on the things I love to do: writing, performing, recording and posting, and not on the things I don't love to do: strategizing, politicking, marketing, and thinking about who likes it, who doesn't, and how much money I'm making.

This is not a moral judgment on my part. I don't think the latter are bad things to focus on. For me, this is a quality of life judgment. I want to spend my time doing things that make me feel alive and like myself. In practice, this means primarily making art, be it martial or musical. I let the rest more or less take care of itself. I know I make less money because of this, but I don't want to pay the cost of making more money. I believe that my orientation towards pleasure is both the root of both my success and the root my failure. But it is my nature and I'm going with it. So far I am happy with my choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment