Thursday, November 10, 2022

Chasing The Perfect Weed High


They call chasing the perfect opium high, the way it felt the first time, that complete release from all pain, “chasing the dragon”. They do this either because of the fantastic nature of dragons or more likely because dragons don’t exist, any more than that perfect release from all pain exists and chasing either of them is futile. As well as dangerous.

Now, what about cannabis? Those of us who enjoy its effects are usually not looking for “complete release from all pain”. If we are, we will give up on cannabis pretty early and head for the “body” drugs.

But there is something special that we feel when we get high the very first time, or maybe that first year or two, when it’s a very fresh experience, that doesn’t always continue if we become regular users.

And then…often…it becomes more of a habit…still fun…still enhancing…but not like it used to be. For some it becomes a depressant. There is a sense of hoping or looking for the high you used to feel, but don’t as much anymore.

So you’re sort of chasing an elusive high. I say elusive not imaginary, because it does exist. It’s just not as easy as it was in the beginning when it was a gift.

For me, becoming alive in my body, becoming agile and stronger, more mobile, becoming more connected with my community, contributing my talents and the things I’ve worked on and receiving support back…in short, reciprocal involvement in the world; all of these things bring real and deep enjoyment to my body and heart. Cannabis can then can enhance and give a different angle to that enjoyment.

When cannabis was a substitute for all of the above, weed just wore off and stopped working. Now that it’s not a substitute for those things, I have many cannabis experiences that are right up there with my early ones, and now and then significantly better. But it’s not a given. My state of mind going in, the setting, the company I’m in, the strain, and the dose all figure into it.

So what do you call chasing the perfect weed high?

I call it “chasing the bunny” because it seems like it would be easy to catch but once they’re on to you, it’s a little harder than you thought. But possible. Definitely possible. ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment